Don't get me wrong, I love eating blueberries fresh. I don't like them as a an artificial flavor though. Blueberry yogurt, won't eat it. Blueberry flavored water, won't drink it. If it's artificially flavored with blueberry, I won't eat or drink it.
![]() |
| Photo Source: Click Here |
Clearly, I'm left with only fresh blueberries. Which is fine. Except for a few things.
- They're expensive. I shop at the commissary on base with my parents so I normally get all of my fruits and veggies from there because we see no sense in making a hundred stops for stuff that we can get all at one place. Every time I've gotten blueberries in the last year the price has been high. Over $3 for a tiny little bit of those little delicious buggers. To be honest though, I'm not even sure what season blueberries are in and if that affects the pricing for the Wichita area or not.
- Bad berries. Ever since I started working in a place that sells fresh produce I've become very aware and attentive to fruit and veggies and how they should look, feel or smell at the store. Blueberries are difficult to gauge though since you can only see the outside layer of the berries and not the inside. Obviously, I'm very aware of expiration dates and yet every time I've bought blueberries I end up throwing handfuls away because they're bad. It's not like I've let them sit in the fridge for a week or two before deciding to eat them, I'm talking within three days of bringing them home.
- They blend weird in my smoothies. I don't know what it is, but I don't like how they blend in our blender and make my smoothies look weird. Not a big deal really, but annoying nonetheless.
So there's my little rant about blueberries. Really, I try so hard to love them but they make it so difficult sometimes.
What fruit do you love/hate?

I hate that fake blueberry taste too but could eat real ones by the bucket! I buy frozen blueberries all year except for that brief little window when they're in season and put those in my plain yogurt or into smoothies. I like using frozen berries too because I can put them in the yogurt in the morning and take it to work or class and it keeps the yogurt cold.
ReplyDeletexo, Katie
hyperactive daydream
Hello Katie! I'm glad I'm not the only one who dislikes the fake blueberry taste. I'll definitely have to try frozen blueberries next! I currently have a big bag of mango and pineapple in the freezer and they are so delicious!
DeleteProbably not your intention, but you inspired me to make a blueberry pie for my family's party this weekend ;)
ReplyDeleteI like most fruits, but I can't get down with papaya... either I've only ever gotten ones that weren't ripe or I'm just not a fan